August 3, 2019 Cancelled
Murrell Park, Flower Mound, Texas
Race Start: 8:00 a.m.
This race was originally scheduled for May 18, 2019.
Due to weather and trail conditions, it has been rescheduled to August 3, 2019. Due to this shift and the Texas heat, the swim will be reduced from 1200 meters to 800 and the run from 5.6 miles to 3.1.
Cancellation Update (7/22/2019):
We are sorry to announce, that due to the prolonged flooding of Lake Grapevine, the Rock Dallas Triathlon has been cancelled for 2019. Even though the trail is now above water, there is still considerable work remaining to get the trail open before race date and the transition area cleaned up, which was under water for several months. Our biggest concern is that we are not certain of what water hazards may still be beneath the surface of the water in the swim area. We will refund the $15 USAT one-day license fees to those of you that purchased those online.
Many of you have already requested a voucher code for a future race. For the handful of you that didn’t, we will still make that offer if requested by July 31, 2019. Our Rock Dallas trail runs will still be held on Sunday, August 4th, if you want to consider doing one of the three distances offered (5k, 15k, or 13.1 miler). Otherwise, you can request a voucher for any of our future races within one year. Please send your voucher requests to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2019. The voucher can be used between now and July 31, 2020.
Terra Firma Racing Crew
This is an off-road triathlon that includes a 800-meter swim, 13.4 miles of mountain biking, and a 3.1 mile run. This adventure gives racers the opportunity to rock it on one of the most popular trails in the DFW Metroplex, Northshore Trail (Lake Grapevine). The start takes place at Murrell Park, where swimmers will head out and complete a loop around a cove on Lake Grapevine. After exiting the water, racers will transition to the bike and enter the single-track trail. Traveling in a counter-clockwise direction, riders will head east to do loops 2, 3, and 4, followed by the west section of the trail to complete loops 1 and 5. The mountain bike portion of the race is fast, with a few technical sections to challenge you. Finally racers will transition into their sneakers to rock the final leg of this adventure. Heading east, racers will run counter-clockwise through fast, flowy single-track before raising their hands high through the finish line.
If you sign up as a “trio” then you each do a different leg of the race. You exchange (tag) in the transition area. The first teammate will swim, the second will bike, and the third will run.
We do not have age groups for the relay teams. It is just one division. You can combine any combination of ages or gender you like.
The “duo” teams mean that one teammate does two of the legs and the other does the third leg. You pick the order and the legs that each does. (ie. Teammate #1 could do the swim, teammate 2 the bike, then teammate 1 the
Two-person team $60 (per person)
Three-person team $50 (per person)
After April 27
Two-person team $67.5 (per person)
Three-person team $55 (per person)
Two-person team $77.5 (per person)
Three-person team $65 (per person)
This will be a USAT Sanctioned event. You must either possess a current USAT membership or purchase a 1-day membership ($15) during the on-line registration process.
Racers 18 years old and under get a $10 discount!
Recognition of Your Awesomeness
Male & Female – 3 deep
Male & Female – 3 Deep
Age Groups: – 3 Deep
Males: 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75+
Females: 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75+
What you get with Registration
We’ve partnered up with ReGeared to bring you some of the coolest custom awards anywhere. All participants will receive race swag at packet pickup, finisher medals, a trucker hat (for early bird registrants!!!), a meal ticket, and an opportunity to win gear from our sponsors in our post-race raffle.
Tentative Trail Maps
The transition area for the following people only: athletes with race numbers, race officials, and race management. No others will be allowed in transition at any time. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Participants will be allowed to start removing their bikes from transition AFTER ALL PARTICIPANTS have FINISHED the bike portion of the event.
- Please be courteous and pay attention while in the transition area, especially when removing your belongings.
- Anyone removing their bike prior to authorization or without permission from the Race Director will be DISQUALIFIED.
- If you have special circumstances, such as work commitments or something of this nature, come ask us and we will work with you.
SWIM — 1200 METERS
- Swim wave start times will be based on participation. All decisions will be made race week.
- Starting at the out-of-service boat ramp, racers will swim clockwise for a 1,200 meter loop. Swimmers will keep buoys on their right shoulders.
- After exiting the water, racers will have a short run up the boat ramp to the transition area.
- Swim caps are REQUIRED and will be provided at Packet Pickup
- If you need assistance, wave your arms or yell. We will have multiple in-water kayaks that will render assistance. You may hold onto kayaks but use cannot use them to advance.
Wetsuit Policy Each age-group participant is permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wetsuit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
BIKE — 13.4 Miles
- The mountain bike section takes racers through 1 lap of the most popular mountain bike singletrack in the DFW metroplex. This singletrack is fast and flowy with short, punchy hills, a few rock garden sections, creek crossings, and some sand to keep you on the edge of your seat.
- This course is fun for ALL ability levels!
- Racers will ride COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, following BLUE arrows and WHITE tape.
- Aid Station(s), stocked with Gatorade and water, are located at the Transition Bike Out and at 6.5 miles. Please carry a hydration pack or water bottles for this leg of the race.
RUN — 5.6 Miles (1 lap)
All on fast & flowy singletrack!
- Runners will follow RED arrows and WHITE tape.
- Aid Station(s), stocked with Gatorade and water, are located at the Transition Run Out and the turnaround point at mile 2.75
Thursday, May 16
- Course open for pre-ride and run – tentatively marked by 4:00pm
Friday, May 17
- Packet Pickup & Late Registration (if not full) – TBD
- Course open for pre-ride and run ALL DAY. Start/Finish line area is not open for cars. You will have to park in the normal parking area by the Guard Shack and ride your bike down to the transition area.
Saturday, May 18 – RACE DAY
- Guard Gate Opens 6:00am
- Packet Pickup (Murrell Park) – 6:15am – 7:30am – follow signs after entering at the guard gate
- Transition opens – 6:10am
- Swim warm-up – 7:30am
- Transition closes – 7:40am
- Pre-race brief (Race Start – Boat ramp) – 7:45am
- Race starts – 8:00am
- Race awards – 11:30am (tentative)
Murrell Park, Flower Mound, Texas
Murrell Park is located on the north side of Lake Grapevine and is operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. This park sits on the bluffs of the north shore overlooking the main lake.
Day use is Free at Murrell Park. White Chalk Rd area start/finish/transition only open on race day.
Camping is available for $10/night. However, reservations are required. Reserve early at Reserve America
*Right to Cancel or Reschedule – Terra Firma Racing LLC reserves the right in the event of inclement weather, emergency, or natural disaster to cancel the race or move to a later time that day or alternate date within the year (if available). In the event of a CANCELLATION with no ability to reschedule, there will be NO REFUND OF ENTRY FEES. Each athlete must accept any such risk for their entry paid.